Sports Best

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Member Titles
Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:59 am by Tombi257

» SC: Sign-Up Thread
Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:04 pm by Tombi257

» Formula One Thread
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:00 pm by Habib's 4 life braz

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:39 am by Sitting Ducks

» Tri-Nations
Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:01 am by Sitting Ducks

» The Ashes 2009
Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:52 am by Sitting Ducks

» Sup people
Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:49 am by Sitting Ducks

» Fantasy Cricket League Sign-Ups
Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:33 pm by tangerinesrule

» Favorite players?
Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:54 am by CJCorka



Magpies dent Swans' finals chances

Go down

Magpies dent Swans' finals chances

Post by CJCorka on Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:08 am

Collingwood have boosted their top-four hopes and seriously dented Sydney's AFL finals chances following a 23-point victory in front of 41,042 fans at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

The Magpies' 13.11 (89) to 9.12 (66) triumph was their seventh straight against the Swans and lifts them to 7-5 for the season, while Sydney have slipped to 5-7 and face a massive battle to make the finals for a seventh consecutive year.

Sydney had their chances to secure a first win over Collingwood since 2005, but a moment of madness from Ted Richards swung the momentum firmly into the visitors' favour.

The Magpies led by just six points 20 minutes into the final term when Marty Mattner gave away a free kick for a late tackle on Leon Davis.

Richards then foolishly kicked the ball forward to give away a 50-metre penalty that gifted Davis a goal.

Best-on-ground Alan Didak then nailed a goal on the run 60 seconds later to give the visitors a match-winning lead as they continued their dominance over Sydney.

As is customary when these sides meet, Collingwood got off to the better start with the game's first three goals.

Kieren Jack answered with two quick goals for Sydney, but a late Shane O'Bree major against the run of play gave the visitors a two-goal lead at the first break.

When Harry O'Brien and O'Bree kicked the opening two goals of the second term to stretch the lead to 26 points, the signs were ominous for the Swans.

Ryan O'Keefe and Adam Goodes responded for Sydney, who were fortunate to head into halftime trailing by just 16 points.

A different Sydney side emerged from the rooms after the main break and gradually fought their way into the match.

Barry Hall began to find some space and kicked two goals for the term, while a mark and goal from Ed Barlow in the dying minutes gave Sydney their first lead.

A Dane Swan goal on the siren gave Collingwood a three-point lead at the final break and while Sydney had plenty of chances early in the last term, the match ended in familiar fashion.

Posts : 129
Join date : 2009-06-07
Location : Here

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum